Knitting Patterns by Lyndell

Halter Neck Dress for Neo Blythes - here
Design your own Dress for Neo Blythes - here
Gum-Nut Hat for Neo Blythes - here

Who? What? eh?

This is the blog of a constant crafter - a 'showcase' for some of the things I make, some hints for crafting & recylcing - lots of photos and some words. I hope it will inspire.
Please Note: all photos are Copyright.



Sunday 6 June 2010

Knit knit knitty knit

Just off the needles - 1 very small pretty project and 1 large & rather ugly theatrical project.

The pretty one first - a neckwarmer or scarflette for my niece. She likes all the mermaid colours and when Bendigo Woollen Mills sent me a card about their newest yarn "Highland" I thought she would the teal blue shade (called Loch) for a quick little birthday pressie.

Invented the pattern as I went, using a couple of lace patterns that have wavy edges, nice blue/green buttons and some beads on the points for added prettiness.

Now the less than pretty theatrical project - a shawl to be part of a very tatty and broken down costume. By the time it gets to the stage it will have been dyed and will look somewhat different - but here it is as it left my needles.

Tatty costumes are actually rather difficult to make - when they are part of a long running stage production they have to look the same in the last performance as they did on opening night. A previous run of this show had a shawl made from some machine knitted fabric “broken down” with holes and lots of ladders. Of course, this had continued to disintegrate - so I had to replicate that “look” in hand knitting that will be relatively stable with permanent holes and ladders :-)

They also wanted the fabric between the ladders to have a bit of a roll / not completely flat. I’ve never knitted a Clapotis but remembered seeing them and remembered that they have a bouncy roll between the dropped stitch ladders … looked up the pattern … there are Knit through Back of Loop stitches either side of the ladders, an idea I copied so I'm calling this a "Clapped-Outtee".

As the ladders and holes had to be quite random, the Clapped-Outtee Shawl was actually rather difficult and time-consuming - I was using 26 colour-coded stitch-makers at the widest point. I am quite proud of this completely tatty and rather ugly shawl :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment